Pages 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peace symbol




Gerald Herbert Holtom [20 January 1914 – 18 September 1985] was a professional designer and artist.

A graduate of the Royal College of Art, Holtom was a conscientious objector in World War II. On 21 February 1958 he designed the Nuclear Disarmament logo for the first Aldermaston March, organised by the Direct Action Committee against Nuclear War, Easter 1958 [4–7 April]. The logo was not copyrighted, and was available for use by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, also founded in 1958; it later became known in the wider world as a general-purpose peace symbol. The design was a combination of the letters "N" [two arms outstretched pointing down at 45 degrees] and "D" [one arm upraised above the head] of the flag semaphore alphabet, standing for nuclear disarmament.

It was at the Peace News office at 5 Caledonian Road, London (above Housmans Bookshop) that the CND [peace symbol] was adopted.

The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament [CND] is an anti-nuclear organization that advocates unilateral nuclear disarmament by the United Kingdom, and for international nuclear disarmament and tighter international arms regulation through agreements such as the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. It opposes military action that may result in the use of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons and the building of nuclear power stations in the UK.

CND was formed in 1957 and since that time has periodically been at the forefront of the peace movement in the UK. It claims to be Europe's largest single-issue peace campaign. Since 1958, it has organised the Aldermaston March, which is held over the Easter weekend from Trafalgar Square, London, to the Atomic Weapons Establishment near Aldermaston.

[source: wikipedia]

No comments: